This is just tragic and inexcusable. Politicians love to parade around on TV and talk of how we must fund research into non-addictive pain control pills.
Sadly, it is true that opioids kill over 100 people in the USA every day. Some victims take normal doses of these pills and eventually succumb to the side effects. Others make a desperate effort to get out of “Pain Hell” by accidently, sometimes in desperation, overdosing.
Over 100 million of us in America experience pain on a daily basis. It’s an epidemic. But, there are reasons for this epidemic. Things that traditionally trained physicians don’t think of or even consider. Their solutions usually involve a prescription pad – which we’ll discuss in a minute… these meds actually make chronic pain worse!
Back to those politicians – they need to update their knowledge (if they care.) The research has been done – many years ago. Many natural solutions are available and effective at treating chronic pain. Opioid treatment is not necessary.
Why is seemingly everyone searching for that next “magic pill?” Simple… MONEY!
Think of the billions that Big Pharma could make off a non-addictive pain pill (if such a thing exists – and we’re talking about the hard stuff – not ibuprofen.) Natural solutions to pain are not patentable and very little money is to be made.
Let’s look at how traditional medicine and holistic medicine differ in the way they treat pain:
THE PAIN GENERATION – HOW WE COPE WITH IT
Living in pain changes people.
It changes how people sleep (if sleep is even possible.) Grocery shopping changes. Walking the dog is sometimes a problem. It even affects the pounds that get packed on. Moods change… depression and anxiety often take up permanent residence since the affected person feels like there’s no way out of living in pain (we’ll soon see that this is a fallacy.)
Treating chronic pain costs a staggering $ 635 billion dollars each year. That’s three times more than we spend treating cancer. And yet much of that money is wasted on ineffective – and sometimes dangerous – tests and treatments.
Chronic pain results from the reception of pain impulses by pain sensors in the body. Pain is perceived and processed in the mind through nerve circuits in the brain. And through various levels of consciousness.
In this article, I examine different types of chronic pain. Learn how to master – and conquer – pain once and for all using safe, affordable and effective techniques. In many cases, natural solutions will avoid harmful drugs, steroids, injections and surgeries and debilitating side-effects.
OPIOID TREATMENT MEDICATIONS ACTUALLY CAUSE CHRONIC PAIN
Morphine was studied as the primary opioid used after surgery. Rats given morphine experienced inflammation and pain for 3 weeks longer than non-medicated test subjects.
On April 16, 2018, researchers from the University of Colorado at Boulder released an animal study examining the effects of opioids on post-surgical pain. In the study, mice were subjected to a surgical procedure called a laparotomy. Laparotomies are routine procedures in the United States, often done when pelvic disorders are suspected, and one in which opioids are the standard medication to control post-operative pain.
Mice were treated with moderate doses of morphine immediately after surgery for seven days, while a control group was given saline solution.
In a surprise to the researchers, results showed that opioid pain treatment prolonged pain for 3 weeks compared to the mice given the saline solution. Opioids had the effect of “priming” specialized, immune system cells in the spinal cord to become more sensitive to pain. Tapering from the medication had no effect on pain sensitivity as compared to quitting cold-turkey.
COMMON PAIN MEDICATIONS ARE MORE DANGEROUS THAN WE THOUGHT
A recent study in the 2017 British Medical Journal showed that pain relieving drugs taken for as little as one to seven days increase the risk of a heart attack by 48% for those taking ibuprofen (Motrin or Aleve). This same study found that naproxen (Aleve) users suffered 53% more heart attacks.
Those who chronically use NSAID drugs (Bayer Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Midol, Nuprin, Aleve, Zorvolex, Voltaren, Arthrotec) increased their risk of kidney damage by 32%.
There are four main classes of drugs used to treat chronic pain. Here they are, with common side-effects:
- Narcotic Opioids (Tylenol with Codeine, Vicodin, Oxycontin, etc.): Tolerance (the body quickly gets used to the drug and higher and higher doses are needed), addiction, constipation, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, depression and anxiety.
- Antidepressants (Paxil, Zoloft, Amitriptyline, etc.): Nausea, increased appetite leading to weight gain, loss of sexual desire, other sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction and decreased orgasm, fatigue, drowsiness, insomnia, dry mouth (very common), blurred vision, constipation, dizziness, agitation, irritability and anxiety
- Anticonvulsants (Gabapentin, Pregabalin, Topiramate): Dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, nausea, tremors, rashes, weight gain
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Stomach ulcers, dizziness, headaches, high blood pressure, leg swelling, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), heartburn, stomach pain, increased risk of bleeding – especially for those using blood thinners, kidney damage, liver damage, increased heart attack risk, kidney failure.
A safe alternative is urgently needed and is, in fact, available right now using Holistic Medicine:
THE FOUR FACETS OF CHRONIC PAIN CONTROL: HOW TO USE THE STOP NECK PAIN NATURALLY PROGRAM
- Lab testing: Inflammation plays a huge role in all kinds of diseases – from IBS to Alzheimer’s, Cancer, and Cardiovascular Disease. It is one of the primary causes of chronic neck pain. So many of our bodies are being ravaged by inflammation right now and we don’t even know it.
We may be tired… we may just not “feel good”… or we may have chronic neck pain – and the likely culprit for it all is inflammation. Inflammation might seem like some invisible evil force, but it actually has some distinct warning signs – and not just symptoms like being in pain. There are specific traces of inflammation in the bloodstream. A recent study in Canadian Medical Association Journal presented data from over 6,500 middle-aged men and women who were tested for inflammation markers in the blood between 1995 and 1997.
The proteins most commonly found with inflammation are interleukin-6 (IL-6), C-reactive protein (CRP) and alpha1-acid glycoprotein (AGP).
To get a picture of the body’s inflammation level, request blood tests for these inflammation markers. It’s much better to know what’s going on inside the body before it becomes a problem – even if chronic pain has not been too bad for a while.
2. Supplements: here are 12 natural pain killers to use in place of Opioid Treatment Drugs:
- Boswellia: this herb is made from the frankincense tree. Its resin is used to stop chemical reactions that cause inflammation and thus pain. Ayurvedic medicine practitioners have used Boswellia for centuries to treat arthritic conditions and chronic pain, even chronic neck pain.
- Arnica: An excellent herbal rub to use after intense sports, an acute injury, or even post-surgery, arnica is a well-known natural pain killer among athletes and weekend warriors. Rubbing it on the neck can ease neck pain for hours.
- Ginger: It is as effective as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, and it reduces nausea and relieves symptoms of stomach distress. It contains gingerol, which is an ingredient that works well to control neck pain.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Surprisingly, consuming this healthy fat can prevent or help manage pain. Studies recommend consuming up to three tablespoons a day, preferably higher quality extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil. An easy way to get more EVOO into the diet is to drizzle it over a salad or to use it as a base for homemade salad dressings. Throw some wild salmon in the diet for extra pain-killing benefits.
- Coconut Oil: Contains natural anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. It can be used internally or externally to boost the immune system and reduce chronic neck pain. It’s also a great skin moisturizer as well as a hair conditioner for dry and frizzy hair.
- Cinnamon: If neck pain is ruining the day, simply sprinkle a teaspoon of freshly ground cinnamon on cereal. In a couple of hours, the pain will be gone. Make a poultice of one teaspoon of cinnamon with two teaspoons of honey and mix them with hot water and apply to painful neck areas for fast relief.
- Cherries: Cherries are not only a tasty fruit packed with antioxidants, but they also have anti-inflammatory properties – which make them good natural painkillers.
- Turmeric: This is the “Swiss Army Knife” of supplements. Its active ingredient is Curcumin. Tumeric can improve many health issues including inflammation, chronic neck pain, back and muscle pain, toothaches and arthritis. It helps repair tissue damage and is excellent for detoxification and improving overall health. Try adding tumeric to various dishes as well as teas and juices. Turmeric is best absorbed when combined with fresh ground black pepper and a fat such as coconut oil or olive oil.
- Cloves: The smell recognized world-wide when first stepping through the front door of the dentist’s office. Toothaches and chronic neck pain are quickly erased if chewing cloves is possible – because it has a powerful painkiller called eugenol that is released. If its too strong to chew, make it into a tasty tea.
- Blueberries: Tannin is the active ingredient in blueberries… it kills bacteria that cause inflammation, especially in the urethra.
- Lemon: Of the many qualities that lemon possesses, one is a natural painkiller. Dip a towel in a bowl of lemon juice and apply it to an aching neck – the pain relief is almost instant.
- White Willow: Bark from the White Willow tree is used as a natural painkiller. The active ingredient is acetylsalicylic acid, which is what aspirin is made from. It is used to cure headaches, muscle cramps, lower back pain and neck pain from arthritis. It can be used as a tea if need be.
3. Diet: This is an often overlooked facet of a pain control program. We’ve all heard the expression “Garbage in… garbage out.” Which means, to avoid chronic neck pain, an anti-inflammatory diet is required. The diet consists of four parts:
- High Protein: Protein is needed for muscles to work properly and to maintain strength. Good sources include grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, wild-caught fish and naturally raised pork. Vegetarian diets often use soy to get their protein, but this is a terrible idea. Soy is almost always GMO and sprayed with herbicides such as Roundup, which has been implicated in cancer causation and has many deleterious health effects.
- High Fat: By this we mean saturated fat… yes, I said saturated fat. Despite what the mainstream medicine establishment spouts, this is very healthy. The brain is 60% fat and can’t function normally without it. Olive oil, coconut oil, butter and lard are all great sources of healthy fats. Avoid soybean oil, canola oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil and safflower oil as these are high in pro-inflammatory Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Low carbs: Carbs are metabolized into sugar, which causes inflammation and pain. Try to avoid excessive consumption of bread, pizza, spaghetti (darn… my favorite!) and the like.
- Low sugar: This is a tough one. So many people are addicted to sugar! It’s everywhere… from soda to cookies to ketchup. Don’t think that artificial sweeteners like Splenda are better – they cause problems like thyroid damage and cataracts as well as spiking blood sugar levels. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is very damaging and must be avoided. Read labels when shopping. Use Stevia or small amounts of honey instead.
4. Exercise: Probably the last thing that comes to mind when pain is an issue is exercise. We’re not talking about running a marathon or playing five sets of tennis now. The idea is to keep moving – don’t just plop into a chair and sit there feeling awful. Stretching and light strength training go a long way to relieving chronic neck pain. I have put together a video showing how to do this. It’s easy and no special equipment is needed . Check it out here.
HOW TO GET OVER ADDICTION TO PAINKILLERS
Opioid dependence treatment programs (rehab) are bursting at the seams. So many people are addicted to opioids! Don’t be discouraged – there are many things to try without professional help.
Starting a new opioid treatment causes certain receptors in the brain to create a physical addiction in the body. Then it becomes difficult to stop. After only 3 weeks of routine use, it’s no longer easy to stop – addiction has set in.
The withdrawal phase from opioids is downright awful – I have experienced it first hand and speak from experience. It’s so awful that some patients actually wish for death in the middle of withdrawal.
Courage and willpower are needed to kick the opioid addiction – and in the end – I promise… quality of life returns. Hang in there!
Want help? Here are some tips:
1) Patience is a must: This is #1 on the list because it is the most important part. Failure to get clean happens when people give up instead of bearing with it – and holding on for dear life (literally!) Receptors in the brain do heal over time. What’s happening is that GABA (a neurotransmitter) receptors on the cells become atrophied. This means the little areas of the cells that hug GABA and pull it into the cell are essentially dead. It’s called “downregulation.”
Time is the only thing that will allow those receptors to regrow and heal. The receptor sites will eventually “upregulate.” When they do, the AWFUL symptoms of withdrawal… which may include anxiety, restlessness, gloom, insomnia, internal buzzing, cravings, torture in the brain and akathisias (shooting pain in the skin)… will lessen. It can take up to two years to feel well again. Just hang on for dear life… the life saved will be numero uno!
2) Medications can backfire: The brain has about 100 billion neurons (cells) with a small space between them. The neurons don’t touch. This space is called a synapse. Its where the “happy brain” chemicals (endorphins) hang around. The chemistry of addiction is such that these feel-good endorphins are constantly needed.
Suddenly stopping these endorphins (in the form of opioids like hydrocodone or heroin) causes the synapses to starve. In other words, the “happy brain” chemicals aren’t there anymore. This is how cravings start…then drug-seeking behavior occurs and why depression/anxiety can be so severe if tapering happens too fast.
Conventional medicine’s answer to this is to prescribe medications quickly… because they restore some feel-good endorphins. So, physicians who are not knowledgeable in addiction and withdrawal will then increase neurotransmitters by prescribing a drug for it. They are trying to force production of a neurotransmitter… but if it’s done prematurely… the patient suffers.
Why? If the receptors are downregulated, the new medication will backfire since there’s no receptor to hug it. Patients take the medication to ease withdrawal – but feel worse on it. The key to feeling better is to re-sensitize the receptors, not push production of endorphins. Because there’s no place for them to go, their levels spike in the synapse (space) and build up… causing terrible side effects.
3) Use microdoses of any supplement (with the exception of vitamin C… which we’ll soon discuss.) There are dozens of options to help raise GABA – but going really slow with small doses is a must. Supplements to try include lemon balm, magnolia bark, passionflower, valerian root and more. Timing and doses are highly individual – so some trial and error is needed to get good results.
Here’s the point: An amino acid precursor called glutamate is needed to make GABA. When glutamate builds up, it causes anxiety, restlessness, panic, pain and possibly digestive problems. It’s the conversion of glutamate to GABA that helps promote feeling well (remember that…it’s important!) Some supplements that help with this conversion incluse P5P (the biologically active form of vitamin B6) and Lysine. This is a very complicated subject and easy to screw up. It’s best to work with an experienced holistic medicine practitioner to feel better.
4) Find a great support network that includes professionals. There are many qualified, experienced, caring physicians and addiction/withdrawal counselors available. Social workers are in a unique position help help achieve sobriety. Having the “help” of a physician untrained can cause great harm and could be catastrophic to recovery.
DESPERATE TO KICK OPIOIDS? TRY VITAMIN C
Amazing recent findings show that vitamin C offers a natural cure for hard to kick drugs such as heroin. A vitamin C deficiency seems to correlate with opioid addiction and administering high doses of vitamin C offers profound healing effects without the horrible side effects of conventional therapy, as we just learned. Addressing this vitamin C deficiency in drug addicts can dramatically improve recovery time and enhance the detoxification process.
Compared to methadone or suboxone, which are commonly used to treat opioid withdrawal and takes weeks to work, vitamin C treatment causes an almost immediate reversal of the symptoms of drug addiction.
Administered in high doses, vitamin C rapidly relieves pain and reduces the desire for opioids. The oral intake is 25 to 85 grams per day of sodium ascorbate (Vitamin C) in doses spaced throughout the day. Along with other vital nutrients, vitamin C can completely reverse a drug addiction to opioids.
Within 12 hours, mental alertness returns… visual acuity improves… appetite improves… and general recovery starts. Just four to six days of a vitamin C protocol can cause a profound reversal. The vitamin C dosage can then be gradually reduced to around 10 – 30 grams per day. Too much vitamin C causes rumbling happens in the stomach – often with diarrhea. Just cut back until the GI distress stops – and stay at that dose.
So, having read this whole article, help spread the word that kicking opioids is something that must happen to have a good life. It’s very possible. Best of luck!
If this information is useful and would like more tips and tricks to deal with chronic neck pain, please visit www.stopneckpainnaturally.com.
PS: We are offering a FREE “Chronic Neck Pain Survival Guide” Book for a limited time. It has tons of information to get fast and permanent relief.
Just click here.
PPS: Know someone desperately trying to kick drugs? Please show them this article. It could just save their life. Thanks 🙂